This observation has led to the CAPTURE initiative, which started in 2015 and has grown from interdisciplinary collaboration between several young and dynamic professors from 3 different faculties from Ghent University. In 2019, VITO and the University of Antwerp joined the initiative, followed by Vrije Universiteit Brussel in 2020. As a result: above 300 researchers are now collaborating within the organisation and we work together with above 100 companies. CAPTURE proposes an integrated approach based on three pillars:
- Clustering of expertise, infrastructure and stakeholders in thematic pipelines, developing solutions from waste to resource, to final application
- Acceleration of the introduction of knowledge and technologies towards industry and society
- Training of multidisciplinary professionals
Doing so, CAPTURE wants to be a one-stop-shop for industry and government and offer integrated solutions related to resource recovery, without being restrained by the boundaries of institutes and stakeholders.
CAPTURE wants to deliver a disruptive contribution to the circular economy.
To accelerate radical technological innovations in the field of sustainable resource recovery by multidisciplinary collaboration between stakeholders, with a clear focus on valorization.
CAPTURE embraces following values:
- A shared vision on research: By generating interaction between technology developers researchers from different disciplines, industry and government in a multidisciplinary and positive environment
- Societal relevance: Connecting waste/secondary resources to a demand by smart collaboration between stakeholders
- Disruptive and radical innovation: Bringing top research to the market
- Lifelong learning: Not only training future professionals, but also training entrepreneurs and employees from other stakeholders
- Sustainability: Not only by bringing positive environmental change by research and development in the field of resource recovery, but also by creating a good atmosphere, by collaboration and by being a reliable partner on the long term