The Particle and Interfacial Technology Group at CAPTURE is looking for a postdoctoral researcher to support the workings of the Chair Industrial and Circular Water Technology in close collaboration with Evides Industriewater. This Chair was initiated 5 years ago and is now expanding, with the goal to enhance industrial research and increase our connections between academia and industry.
The Chair Industrial and Circular Water Technology facilitates the transfer of academic research to industry and society. The main research focus is on creating a more sustainable industrial water production and management, mainly through technological innovations. The research chair therefore currently focuses on a number of key topics, namely (i) process intensification & selective separation, (ii) cooling water conditioning and corrosion,(iii) alternative water sources and (iv) the sustainability of water treatment technologies. The goal is to boost innovations within the industrial water cycle and anker them into practice, to make this cycle more efficient and sustainable and prep industry for the future. The findings of the chair, in combination with the collaboration with industry, should result in economic savings, growth and increased productivity for the end user. Communication is key, by bringing different stakeholders within the water sector together, exchange information and coordinate action.
To even further increase practical relevance of the chair, we are looking for a new senior team member, who helps to translate industrial problems into relevant scientific questions and projects; and vice versa supports the rapid deployment of novel research in a practical setting. This requires a constant debate with (new) industrial stakeholders.
- Work together with the research chair professors and the coordinator of the Chair towards the goals as discussed here.
- Initiate and support novel research ideas and to develop and write them into project proposals.
- The latter should be obtained by intensified interactions/networking with (new) industrial stakeholders
- Day-to-day follow-up of current projects, including the development of scientific and practical research lines.
- Practical, day-to-day supervision of current and future PhD students.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You hold a thesis-based doctorate in a field relevant to the goals of the Chair as described above, preferably with experience in the field of water treatment and/or corrosion.
- You have experience and an existing network within the water industry in Flanders and/or the Netherlands.
- You’re fluent in English, knowledge of Dutch is a big plus.
- You are motivated, enthusiastic and communicative.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- We offer you a contract of indefinite duration.
- Your contract will start on 1/01/2022 at the earliest.
- Your remuneration will be determined by salary scale WM1 to WM4 (if you hold a Master’s degree) or salary scale PD1 to PD4 (if you hold a doctorate). Click here for more information about our salary scales.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 36 days of holiday leave (on an annual basis for a full-time job) supplemented by annual fixed bridge days, a bicycle allowance and eco vouchers. Click here for a complete overview of all the staff benefits (in Dutch).
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not submitted through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘CV’: your CV and an overview of your study results (merged into one pdf file)
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field “other documents”: a reference letter, an overview of your study results, …
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Marjolein Vanoppen (marjolein.vanoppen@UGent.be, +32 477 76 88 37 (send a message to arrange a call)). Important: do NOT send your application by email, but apply online here.